Career Guidance By Rev. Fr. Sleeva Reddy Diocese of Belgaum
How to Choose your Career
Choosing your career is an important step because your future is at stake. It is generally observed that a large section of students ate unaware of what they want to achieve in life. This amounts to a situation like boarding a train without knowing one’s destination. Undoubtedly it may result in waste of precious time as well as money.
This underscores the need for setting a meaningful and attainable goal. In taking such a decision one must keep in mind one’s qualifications, interests, knowledge, experience, if any, attitude, potentialities, and existing trends in the job market. Knowing your weaknesses and strengths enable you to set a meaningful and attainable goal.
The following guidelines may prove useful in making your career a success:
• While academic merit is generally pivotal in making and entry into any career an individual’s level of understanding, his application of knowledge and professional training are necessary. Personality and even one’s outlook towards life in general and career, in particulars, plays a significant role in ensuring continuous progress.
• Success in your career in the new millennium necessitates firm commitment, vision, managerial ability to solve problems at your place of work and continuous up gradation of professional skills in your field. This is besides competitive score in examination results and hard work.
• To think and act big is indispensable to rise rapidly in your career.
• Whatever be your choice, it is necessary to identify and explore the opportunities that are available.
• To innovate and create opportunities for your career enhancement is also necessary.
Success in releasing your career dreams to a large extent depends on your own attitude which includes your sincerity and strong will to vigorously pursue your goal. First of all, you need to have a clear understanding of what you want to be. It must be following by your determination to fulfill the requirements that are needed to enable you to achieve your goal. It means you have to acquire the required academic qualifications followed by professional qualifications and training in your particular field. Once you have these will be able to compete.
Success also requires you to be self-disciplined, making optimum use of your time, being self-confident and having qualities of a professional. To rise rapidly on the career graph, there is a need not only to keep yourself abreast with what goes on around you and in the outside world today but also to have the ability to visualize the likely future developments.